The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tips for selling tickets for Our House!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:13 pm 

Hi guys!
First of all I would like to say well done to you for the number of tickets you have sold so far. I am really impressed both by the number of tickets we’ve sold and by the number of people who have put in an order. So well done you!

Here are some tips on how to boost your ticket sales.

First up, general ticket info in case you still don’t know:
Dates: Wed 23rd-Sat 26th Feb 2010.
Times: Evening performances 7:30pm, Saturday matinee 2:30pm.
Venue: Mitchell Theatre, Charing Cross.
Prices: £12/£7 concession in advance. £15/£10 on the door.

Contact Details for buying tickets: http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/tickets
07595 363 006
Tickets@ceciliansociety
Feel free to contact me on facebook as well.

Tips!

Facebook

Facebook is really really useful for publicising the show and increasing ticket sales. If you don’t have it, I would very much recommend you get it (even if you just have it until the show and then get rid of it)

Update your status with info about the show. Do this regularly so that people don’t forget about the show. Try not to go over the top with this though as people will get bored of your constant Our House updates and start to ignore them (which we of course don’t want to happen)

You can group your friends on face book into list so you could create a list of people you want to sell tickets to and send messages to your ‘Our House list’

Create a facebook event for yourself , such as ‘Come and see Esther in Our House’. This means that when you invite people to the event, your friends will no that you are in the show. It also gives you the opportunity to really talk yourself up and make yourself the star of the show.

Create a facebook event for a group of you. If there are a few of you that are involved in another society/club/live in the same block in halls etc create a event inviting all the people you know as a group. E.g the Footloose types (don’t feel like I’m pushing you guys to do this, it was just the example I used at rehearsals so thought I’d use the same one now) could create an event and invite all of the people they know through doing footloose and talk up the fact that all four of them are gonna be in Our House as so they should all come see it. (Does this make sense?)
Creating an event as a group doesn’t stop you creating an individual event as well.

Change bits of your profile to info about the show, such as your ‘about me’ section etc.
You could also change your profile picture to the show poster (I probably wouldn’t recommend doing this until a few weeks before the show though so you don’t get bored of it.

You can also post a link to the ticket site to your profile as a bit of a change to updating your status.

Twitter

If you have twitter, tweet show details regularly but again don’t go over the top.
Send messages to theatre groups asking them to retweet your Our House updates.

Email

Change your email signature to info about Our house-include the ticket line number and the ticket site address.

Mobile

Text everyone you know and tell them about the show. Make yourself the star of the show. Include the ticket number. Honestly text everyone even if it’s a random you met in a club and have a number for-you never know they might be keen on musical theatre.

Other methods

Stand up in lectures (probably nearer to the show) and tell your class about the show and how to buy tickets. (I have done this on several occasions it may be embarrassing but it does get word out there about the show)

Get in touch with your departmental secretary at uni and ask them to send an email round the staff and students of the department with info about the show and how to get tickets. If there are quite a few of you from the same department e.g. Theatre studies, music, English lit, mention that there are a few of you or specifically list the people involved.

If you are involved in any other organisations, (clubs, societies, sports teams, choirs, other musicals etc etc) get in touch with the organisation’s secretary or whoever runs it and ask them to send round an email promoting the show. Again mention that you are in it. Perhaps suggest a group night out to see the show.

After Christmas we will have flyers and posters for the show. Put posters up in your halls, uni departments, shops near your house anywhere you can thing of. (it is very important that you get permission to put up your posters as otherwise it is illegal). Put flyers through your neighbours door. Take flyers to your classes and hand them out.

If you have a job, put up a poster in your staff room. Try and arrange a staff night out to come and see the show. Put up a sign up sheet for people to get tickets.

If you went to school in Glasgow/nearby, get in touch with your head teacher/head of music/head of drama and tell them that you are in the show and see if they would be interest in running a wee trip to see it. If not ask them to pass on the info to the pupils/staff as that will be a little bit more publicity.

This is all that I can think of at the moment. If anybody can think of any other ideas to help sell tickets please post them below.

I hope this has been helpful.

Good luck and Merry Christmas. xxx