The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DRESS REHEARSAL NOTES
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:06 am 

IT'S YOUR WEDDING DAY

-Aisle at end needs to be central.
-Dancer group 2 be central in your dancefloor circle. Directly behind Dancer group 1.
-Emma and Cavey remember to hug after 7 poses before last chorus.

SOMEDAY
-More animation in bouquet scrum when you're singing to the front.
-Foolishly I hadn't foreseen the problem of actually throwing the bouquet every night and Susanne always catching it. Perhaps Emma, you could just cover your eyes instead of turning round and then throw it in front of you and that might make it easier.

ROBBIE'S WEDDING
-Only start headbanging on the word 'motley'. Loads of you are starting way too early.

POP
-Those popping out from behind stuff. When you walk out from behind it and face the front you look a bit lifeless at the moment. I know you don't have anything to do in that moment, but you can still sing it out more animatedly to the front. Steph and Alice, you particularly need more animation here. But for all of you it'd even make a difference just to be standing with your shoulders back and up head up.
-Dancers, there'll be bottles for you tomorrow.
-The 'revolves around him' turn was still a bit lifeless. It's still only Ellen that seems to breeze past nicely.
-Dancers. The bottle opening moves were definitely better. Remember to keep your arms soft, not straight out in a sort of 'tadaaa' implying fashion. Those who come on with flowers, do it with a smile. Again, Ellen is the only one really doing a good cheesy walk off afterwards. Remember dancers on the third 'question his love' at the end, after you've been dancing you bring your arms to your sides and slightly out in the age old musical theatre stance (on the word 'love').
-More energy needed at the end. Dancers, your arms were perfect for the very end bit, go you.

Ok, I'm literally falling asleep mid-sentence so I'm gonna finish this tomorrow. Should be up sometime in the morning.

Amyx

RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES

-When you move into the line and Holly spins in front of you please form the line further back so that Holly doesn't kick one of the floor mics as she spins.

Post subject: Re: DRESS REHEARSAL NOTES
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm 

CASUALTY OF LOVE

-Casualtys
--If you can't walk around the tables much on the walks then some of you could use the front of the stage more. Either side of it anyway, so you're not blocking Robbie.
--Remember you walk towards the left on 'love's a trick, love's a trap' then walk to the right on 'love's a hot chick with the clap', then close in in the centre on 'love's a fool, watch it bleed'. I KNOW it's awkward timing, i know you feel like you should be walking for longer in each direction, but you're not. Yes, it's hard to achieve if you only ever try to do it when we do the song all together, but if you actually put some effort in and practice then it's not a complicated thing. Sorry. I know LOADS of people are putting in loads of effort. And it looks great. But it's being let down by people who don't care enough to take note of things at this stage. Lots of people were doing these walks wrong. The only specific I can remember is Caroline Topping. You also need to look to the left when you sing 'love's a trick, love's a trap' and then to the right on 'love's a hot chick with the clap' because you're singing those lines to those sides of the stage. I've said this before, and it's depressing to see onstage which people it is that obviously don't really care because they're still doing things they've been told not to. It's not just me your letting down. It's also your friends that your onstage with who make sure they do everything exactly right. Be perfect, then you can get drunk knowing you really deserve it at the aftershows.
-Fat, divorced and broke was awesome!
-Don't forget the arm jabs at the end of the circle.
--Chorus
I specifically said right before you went onstage to make a lot of the 'neeed' walks. I didn't see everyone but I did notice that Cavey, you didn't do this at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm 

TODAY YOU ARE A MAN

-Cavey. It's your responsibility to get a hat and have it on at the start.
-The bottle dance is still looking ropey. Remember...
You flick your hands up on 'like' and it's R arm up, L arm across.
Arms up on 'but'
R leg goes behind left on the 'mem' syllable of 'remember'
The walks that we were formerly doing diagonally to the right we're doing almost to the front now
The beat right after the 'schel' of 'herschel'
The beat right after 'schvitzing' is when you bring your R leg in from the thriller bend.
'And' is when you raise your shoulders
'worse' is when you look to the left.
If the timing of this is all over the place it just looks like something out of a weekend show, but we've had months to do it, so it should be better. There isn't time for me to stand in front of you and make you do it over and over again now, but I am not actually a necessary component in that. You can practice it on your own. If everyone takes responsibility for it themselves then it'll be perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm 

NOT THAT KIND OF THING

-JG and Cavey. I love you in this. But be still when you're singing to the front.

SATURDAY NIGHT

-I've got 'take off clothes' written here?! No idea what that can mean. Was it a subconscious note I wonder?
-You were all really still behind the gauze. It was great. We can't see you really but if you move we probably would, specially if you're wearing something glittery.
-THE START OF THIS IS SO EXCITING. I'm so unbelievably jealous of you all.
-Smile. It may feel stupid to just be constantly smiling, but it doesn't look stupid.
-Dancers, you've got an extra 8 counts after your separate boys and girls dances. Be aware that that's how long it is and be ready for the next step.
-Dancers-the run back into each other here was ropey. I've seen you do it perfectly, and the music is considerably slower than on the cd when we do it on stage. Its totally possible.
-Much better spacing-wise except LOADS of people still crossed in front of the platform when the two groups swap over. Even if you have always gone offstage to the left there, most of you are gonna have to stop it and move off to somewhere else. Be aware of when the dialogue is and whether you're walking in front of it. 1 at a time is alright. 12 at a time is not. You can use the back, behind the podiums to do and stand, or to the right of the rostra/platform.
-Sus J-you still look a bit unsure of bits of the podium dance. Don't be, and if you are, don't show it in your face. It looks so good when you do it with conviction.
-The woohs were actualy worse than yesterday I think. Make sure you listen to when they come.
-Dancing couples. Try to be a little further forwards on 'Check out the view' so that there's room for Lucy to dance in front of the podium. Having said that you got there in the end Lucy.
-Podium dancers-That bit where you sway side to side on the guitar solo looks amazing!!!
-Head down at the end needs to be better. Listen to the music. There while be one final sound and on that beat your head should go down. Except for Holly.

This is the showstopper at the moment. But hot on its heels is.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:57 pm 

ALL ABOUT THE GREEN!!!

This was suddenly amazing tonight. Just being let down by a few details, and could do with just a little more energy.

-I think you should freeze until the first lot of singing is over. So the two 'wanna be somebodys' and then become animated. Most people were actually still for this bit, so lets actually make it a rule.
-Dancer typists. I think the typing would be best if you all did it in time. I intimated this once to you but then never got round to saying more. Gregor (I believe) is making a typing sound. Listen to this and on each count of 8 you start with your right hand down. On 6 you throw R hand out to side. On 7 bring it back as though you are moving onto the next line. On 8 raise it so that you can start all over again.
-Try not to stand in front of R and G for a long time when they move to the back before the walking squares. Laura B and Sarah D (I think) do a nice bitchy bump into each other and then get angry. This is good, but try not to stand directly in front of them for this.
-Glen and Robbie make sure you're right at the front on 'Big Bucks, fat cheques' so that the others can line up in front of the table and it can be taken off. Also Rooney, make sure you get all the way to the R. If you need to walk forwards for some of it that's ok. Specially if you're worried about standing on the floor mics.
-ROONEY. DON'T CHECK OUT, TOUCH OR FONDLE SARAH.
-Watercooler people. Remember to do slowmo fighting when everyone else does. Don't start half way through.
-More people need to cluster in on CEO. Yasmin made a valiant effort but there were few others.
-And the 3 poses after this MUST be in time. It's so almost perfect.
-Group 3, bunch together more. Do your moves more confidently. You're all doing them right, so do it with conviction.
-Dancers, be aware that you've got two long beats to move on here (on output, income). The first is great, the second is a little lacklustre.
-Dancers who are on stage L right after this. Your positioning was good, just make sure you're not in a line. You ahould be a little cluster, The other side are doing this nicely. And be a bit further back, so that SusG and Hannah are the only ones right in the front corners of the stage.
-Excellent jubilant business people monging at the end. Looked awesome.
-Only those crawling at the end have money. If you're one of them make sure you do.
-The crawling still needs more animation. It should be animalistic. There shouldn't be a moment during it when you're still. Make a lot of each step.

But in general. This made me very happy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:09 pm 

RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES

-As I said before, guys, form the line along the centre a bit further back so that when Holly spins along it she doesn't need to be scared of kicking mics.
-John Gerard and Ronan. Making sure you are centred is your responsibility. You two should be as far back as possible and positioned either side of Holly.
-Boys, don;t smile. But look serene and dabonair.
-JG and Cavey, you were a little late on the fake walks you do in the line. If you don't knwo what I mean by that come and ask me.
-Lots of you still look unsure of steps. It only takes about half an hour of thinking over it in your head on your own to make sure you know something.

SINGLE

-Robbie and Sammy. You are responsible for being central at the end. You should be either side of Dobie.
-Alex, make sure you know the dance. It's really noticeable if you don't. And it's only that little bit at the end. I shouldn't have to come and find people and make them learn these things. I haven't got time to do that with everyone. If you're not sure of something come and ask me.
-Remember when you stop grapevining. It's on the walkthrough.
-Arms up on 'grave' and slowly down.
-Peter. You're one of the guys who does the 'does my ass look fat' move. Remember it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:19 pm 

FINALE

-Dancers at start make sure you're centre. I know the platform is further out now. Therefore, the stageL line of you be as far out as possible and stageR line adjust yourself accordingly. This is basically the responsibility of Yas and Ashleigh.
-Robbie and Julia-Your run up the aisle was a bit quick I know. Are you able to get to the back of it earlier?
-Those maing archway, remember you're not touching hands. Robbie and Julia shouldn't be having to bend down that much to get through.

BOWS
Boy dancers. If you're gonna do that bow try and be in time with each other.

Done! x