The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RUN NOTES - 14TH FEB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 am 

Hi guys,
Here are my notes from tonights run. x

IYWD
-Boy dancers, on your little section after the girls we've changed the ripples backwards to just walks back. Just make sure you remember that.
-Table dancers-This was the best ever. It could do with even more energy though.
-Robbie - Remember you're walking up the middle of everyone right after 'Cause love is what'.

SOMEDAY
-Girls walking to get the bouquet and then fighting each other-perfect. You all started jostling pretty much exactly when you start singing the 'oohs' which is perfect. Lets have that be the cue from now on. Loved the desperate singing to the front. Was worried this song was going to lifeless but it's totally not. You rock! Kirsty you could make slightly more of almost catching the bouquet. Like, hold your hands out (what Ami was doing on Thurs was kind of prefect) and you could move slightly more in front of the rest of them so that it's more like Susanne comes and takes your place at the end.

ROBBIE'S WEDDING
-I'm pretty sure Lorna wants you to start moshing on the word 'Motley crew'. Just so it doesn't look messy make sure no one starts before then. Similarly stop moshing when Linda finishes singing 'basement'.

POP
-I know the waitresses had a few problems with the timing here with there being vamping added in. I think a lot of this will be solved when there's a band there instead of just a piano. Your cue to start moving when the restaurant section first starts 3 long notes after which you count 3 and then move. Obviously the 3 long notes won't necessarily come as soon as they do in the cd version. So you have to make sure you're listening for them. Then it was a problem again at the end with the whole wine bottle bit. I think this will definitely be more apparent with the orchestra. Once you've lent down to pour the imaginary wine there may be more vamping. If so just stay there, as though frozen until the big beat before 'He totally popped' when you whip your head towards G and J.
-Only do 4 sways on the final 'his love' and then stand still.

CASUALTY OF LOVE
-Casualtys. I keep telling you when your walks are but you continue to do them wrong! Pleeeease, it really doesn't take long to master it. You're taking two slow steps and 3 fast ones. You always start on the word 'LOVE'. So on love to take the first of the two slow walks. Then the last of the fast ones should fall on the 'CAS' of 'CASUALTYS'.
Also, we were originally walking around the tables and not just in the middle at that point. I don't know where that got lost. You don't all need to be in the centre so soon. You can still be coming to the centre when Robbie starts dancing on the 8 beats before you.
-Also remember that it's on the words 'FAT, DIVORCED AND BROKE' that you're doing the slightly obscene ass slapping move (aka slapping an imaginary persons ass, not your own). and then on 'sex' you slap your own ass.

TODAY YOU ARE A MAN
-Bottle dance-start more central. I'll put a walkthrough up of this. It's just a case of the specific timing of stuff that you're not all quite together on. But if you all read the readthrough then hopefully you'll all be raising your shoulders etc at exactly the same moment. Obvs we'll try to go over it on Thurs but if we don't then reading the walkthrough would be awesome.
-At the end when you're all still for a bit, there's a few too many arms outstretched towards the audience. I realize this is a result of me saying to look presecuted. But it's looking a bit to beggary at the moment.

NOT THAT KIND OF THING
-Make sure you know when you are about to sing and are prepared. Use the back and front of the stage more. People can move behind the stalls and be right at the front (as long as you're at the sides and so not blocking the principals). We really need you to not look like a choir or a cluster when you sing. You should look like a sea! a sea of people singing, not a cluster. Basically, spread out.

SATURDAY NIGHT
-Remember to put your head down at the end (apart from Holly) on the the beat after the last syllable of singing. And you're putting your arm down as well. This was particularly poor.
-Woohs - Were really poor. The people at the front a fine, the people at the back are too slow so it's got a kind of ripple affect which just looks AWFUL. Make sure you KNOW what you're doing and when. Also don't everyone do the moves to the front, do them in all sorts of directions as you would on a real dancefloor.
-There are still people who are unsure of this dance when we've been doing it for AGES. I'll write a walkthrough of it as well. Should get it up tomorrow. Please read it as it will tell you exactly the timing and counting of everything and i think it's the timing details that's messing most people up with SN.
-Having said all that the start (New York... section) of this is very good.
-The guitar solo- Sorry guys, we've screwed this up pretty much every time we've done it. There will be an extra bit of music before the section after the first chorus. So dancers, you didn't do anything wrong, we just cut you off middway. Once again, to see the exact timing, see the walkthrough.

ALL ABOUT THE GREEN
-People on stage at the start be background acting but when you do those 3 blocks of singing before Glen sings stop moving. It's not really a freeze, it's more of a just stand still for a minute(so typists stop typing). So you can look up from what you're doing, stop arguing with someone, whatever. Particularly on the first 'Wanna be'. This is the start of Act 2 so it'd be really good if everyone was in really powerful stances at the back so it looks like Robbie is entering this imposing, scary world.
-Group 2 singers are probably the poorest group moves-wise. We'll try and go ove this on Thurs but have SO LITTLE TIME that it'd be great if you just read the walkthrough and practiced. I know it's fast, but the movements are v simple.
-Bank rolls legal tender - try and form the cluster for this behind the tables so that group 2 aren't falling all over them.
-Dancers - when you move back to do the 'output, income' moves go further back as you were getting mixed up with group 3.
-Group 3 - Esther, Peter and JG, still cross in front of G and R but forget trying to do it on the specific lines as you were before, there isn't enough time.
-Group 3 again - Remember when you move in to the middle towards Glen and Robbie you're supposed to cluster round Glen as he's reading something out to you, looking over his shoulder etc. So in fact, we should probably have one of the dancers give Glen her clipboard before she moves back so that he's got something to read from.
-End- Was loads better when we went over it. It actually looks pretty awesome.
-People on the floor - When you're crawling keep your head up as much as possible. Also do it with zest. AND remember to be moving outwards as well as forwards, you're fanning out using Robbie as your centre mark.
-Spec. singers- walk on your knees with purpose. And again, those on the edges can be moving outwards just as much as forwards.

RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES
-The circle at the end is around Holly and Sammy. Cavey you MUST go round them before you move into the centre, they'll be moving towards the centre as well so that as the circle forms it should move towards and end up in the centre.

SINGLE
-Obviously need to go over.

FINALE
-Good but not tight enough. It is SO simple so there's no excuse for it not to be phenomenal.

Ok, that's all. It's way too late for me to edit that so sorry it's rather lengthy.

Amyx